Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Java Freccia Carbon Mini Velo: Part 7 - Dura-Ace 9000 Groupset

The Java Freccia carbon mini velo is almost completed! All that is left to do is to fine tune the adjustments and it is ready to go.

Java Freccia carbon mini velo, built up with Dura-Ace 9000 components

Looks great!

During my test ride, I found that the riding geometry is really low and aggressive, due to the low handlebar height. In fact, after comparison, the handlebar height is even lower than the Merida Scultura 5000 road bike! It is too low for comfort, which is why I decided to flip the stem to make it more comfortable.

Handlebar height on the Java mini velo is even lower than the Merida road bike

Controltech 80mm stem was originally installed with a downward tilt

After flipping the stem to be upward tilting, the geometry is better and almost the same as the Merida road bike

Another view of the full bike with the geometry properly set up

Full bike weight is only 6.7 kg inclusive of pedals!

Full specifications of the bike. I did not use any boutique super lightweight components, all can be found easily. Theoretical weight is equal to actual measured weight. Only 6.3 kg without pedals!

Completed bike spotted in the wild

Using the Ridea brake pad extenders with Ridea brake pads

Same for the rear wheel. Braking power is better than expected.

Java Freccia carbon mini velo project completed!

Yet another bike building project has been completed, and I am very pleased with the results. This mini velo is very lightweight at only 6.3 kg without pedals. Also, it rides really well, despite the short chain stays. Braking power using the Ridea brake pads is actually quite good, and I don't miss the SwissStop brake pads. Shifting performance with the Dura-Ace groupset is of course top class, while the Wheelsport Smart 1.0 451 wheels roll really well.

Despite my initial worries, there has been no creaking sounds from the press fit bottom bracket, while the integrated seatpost clamp has not given me any problems with slippage. Other than the insufficient reach from the road brake calipers and the slightly tricky internal cable routing, there has not been any real issues with the installation.

I have tested it while riding with some road bikes, and this mini velo actually feels just as fast as my Merida road bike! The weight difference is felt most during climbing, where this bike just keeps moving instead of dragging you back like on some heavier bikes. Carrying the bike up the stairs or anywhere is a breeze due to the low weight. It is currently my favourite bike to ride as I have rediscovered the joy and fun of riding a mini velo!

 Riding the Java Freccia mini velo by the sea

11 comments:

  1. Hi!

    Thanks for your consistently well presented blog over the years.

    I have a question about rider weight. I am 110kg. Would amini velo be able to handle my weight? I love how fun they are to ride but the last 20 inch foldie I had had it's frame slowly starting to bend after I rode it for a month. (my FSIR fraames are not hinge based like most foldies so it didn't break).

    Cheers!

    Adrian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most one piece frames should be ok, unless they are specifically designed to be extra lightweight, and thus have a weight limit.

      Delete
  2. I want to buy this but I'm in the USA :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely bike! I really appreciate the detail you've put into your blog, it's a treasure trove of information. I'd like to build up something similar, but as I can't find the info anywhere else I've got a couple of questions:

    1) With the 44T chainring, a 11-25T cassette, and 451 wheels + tyres, your max gear inches would be 80, which seems very low. What is the largest chainring you think you could fit on the frame without it rubbing on the chainstays?

    2) With such a short chainstay length, do you have any issues with chain crossing on your 1x setup?

    3) Is there tyre clearance for 28mm tyres? England doesn't always have the most agreeable roads.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Questions 2 and 3 answered in another comment below.

      For rear range, the max gear inch is about 88, as 451 wheels are about 22 inches in diameter. It is sufficient for me, as I don't ride that fast. If you want to keep up with road bikes, you will need a higher gear ratio and of course the legs to go with it.

      Delete
  4. Hi,

    Not sure if my last comment worked. Great blog you've got, you really give lots of useful info. I'm looking at getting this bike but i've got a couple of questions.

    1) Is there clearance for 28" tyres?

    2) Is there a problem with cross chaining with the 1x and short chainstays?

    3) What's the clearance between the chainring and chainstay; could you fit a 56T chainring on it?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) Yes there is clearance for 28mm wide tires, as I have done to improve comfort. https://handsonbike.blogspot.com/2017/10/java-freccia-carbon-mini-velo-part-8.html

      2) No issue with cross chain, but need to use narrow wide chain ring to prevent chain drop.

      3) Not sure about the clearance, but a 56T probably would not fit. Have to test it out yourself to find out.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I estimate this set up to be around SGD 4K. Cost will vary greatly depending on your choice of parts and components.

      Delete
  6. I like this bike. How to buying this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. id like to know also where to buy this java freccia

      Delete

Every comment is moderated before publishing due to spam bots. If you don't see your comment yet, it is likely that it is currently being reviewed. Thank you for your patience!